Sunday, May 11, 2008

When you were dying and I was holding your hand, you asked me to talk about all the good memories I had from our life together. I froze. I hadn't thought forward. I talked about the days when i was little. For some reason that came most easily. What I forgot to share and fill your head with was how much I loved all the recent moments of intimacy. I forgot to tell you that I searched for things to talk about in our car rides, no matter how short, because I enjoyed our conversations. I forgot to tell you how much I would miss calling you to ask for your advice. I forgot to tell you that even though we had our share of yelling, screaming fights, I thought you were the best mom ever. I forgot to tell you that there is very little I want to do differently, because I feel like I was mothered so well. 6 years later, after your death, I still catch myself thinking - I should call mother and tell her.....

1 comment:

Mamas Act said...

You make me want to love mom more! Thank you