Friday, May 9, 2008

Launching the blog

Mother's Day.

I remember bringing my mother cheap perfume and delivering slightly chaotic breakfasts in bed. Homemade cards cut from construction paper. Coupons for car washes and kisses and making the beds without whining.

Today, I got similar sorts of things and celebrated in similiar ways -- at my own house, with my own daughters.

Mother's Day.

It is a dear and funny and archtypal day... but it does not define mothering.

Then again, what does?

On Mother's Day 2008, a visionary pair of moms in Austin, Texas, invited all of the rest of us to gather, reflect and celebrate all that mothering means and mothering does.

The event?
Mothering: The Act Of

The venue?
The United States Arts Authority

The mothers?
You and me

And this, my friends, is the blog.
Created during the event, alongside embroidery, spoken word, altar building and collage art.

Created, in part, to define mothering. In part.
Because there is no other way.

Enjoy the posts.

No comments: